Dead, yes but don’t worry! Most freelancers and designers on small teams should not be in fear of job loss. You just have your terms a little wrong. A web designer is someone who creates the images for websites and the basic idea for interaction. They do not code (html and css) the design at all. That is your most basic definition of a web designer – they do nothing more than create the images.
What Killed Web Design?
- The clients
- They don’t know what good design is
- They are cheap
- Templates for CMS & PSD to HTML
- Gives potential clients custom, cheap attractive options
- The School Systems & Social Networks
- Too many people are learning the same skill
- Everyone thinks they are a “web designer” now
Embrace its Death!
- Don’t worry. You still have options!
- If you love what you do then nothing will stop you
- Keep learning
- Always work on something – look at open source projects or contests
- Help other out while tring to use or learn your new skills
- Ask for critiques of your work
- Get involved! – Network
Just being a web designer is not good enough anymore. In these tough times you need to work harder and faster to stay on top. For web designers that means learning new skills and becoming an user interface developer. It is not a huge leap but it is still a leap. Have fun!
If you are still curious about this subject please read My Job Went to India: 52 Ways to Save Your Job by the Pragmatic Programmers and the article Why Creatives Make the Best Progammers by The Denver Egotist.